Saturday, August 7, 2010

Is there a standard form I can fill out for my wife to carry in case my daughter requires medical care?

My wife is not the biological mother of my 6 year old daughterIs there a standard form I can fill out for my wife to carry in case my daughter requires medical care?
There is a form, it's called ';Medical Permission to Treat Minor Child';.





Stepparents often have questions concerning their right to consent, or refuse to consent, to medical care for a stepchild. A parent or guardian of a minor child (under age eighteen in most states) is generally required to give informed consent for most medical decisions on behalf of that child. However, stepparents generally do not have the authority to give legal consent to medical treatment for a stepchild, unless the stepparent has legally adopted the child or been designated a legal guardian. A child's parents or legal guardians may sign a statement authorizing a third party to consent to medical care. A copy of the authorization signed by the parents or legal guardian should be retained with the child's medical records. Sample medical forms are available from SAA.





Without a consent statement, minors requiring emergency services for alleviation of severe pain, or immediate diagnosis and treatment may still receive treatment. In situations where failure to make an immediate diagnosis and begin treatment would lead to serious disability or death, the child will generally be treated even if the parent, guardian or other person authorized to consent cannot be contacted. In these emergencies, consent is ';presumed,'; since the child would otherwise suffer injuries that could have been prevented.





Even though in most states stepparents lack the legal authority to give consent for medical treatment on behalf of their minor stepchildren, there is a general obligation on the stepparent to obtain necessary medical care for the child. Given this fact, it is certainly a good idea to have a statement signed by a parent authorizing the stepparent to make medical decisions on behalf of the child for instances which may not be classified as an emergency, but for which the child should receive medical attention.





The rights and responsibilities of stepparents vary state to state, so consult your local law for the most accurate information. Very few states have statutes that allow stepparents to consent to medical care and their authority consent may only be effective if efforts to notify the biological or adoptive parent have been unsuccessful.





Here is a link to Stepfamily Association of America:


http://www.stepfamilies.info/advocacy/fa鈥?/a>Is there a standard form I can fill out for my wife to carry in case my daughter requires medical care?
it's called a power of attorney. your wife will not be able to make any decisions without it. they range from anything, i.e. if you want her to sell or car, take care of your kids, pay your bills etc. i think for her making medical decisions you will want to get her what's called a special power of attorney. you got to get power of attorneys from legal offices.
I just wrote out a letter specifiying that my husband has my permission to make any and all necessary medical decisions. My husband still has it in his wallet, from 5 years ago, lol.
I think that a letter signed by you, your wife and notarized should be enough.
See a lawyer %26amp; get a power of attorney. My ex and I had custody of my step-son %26amp; I often took him for medical care.





It's possible that requirements may vary be state, so check with the attorney.

No comments:

Post a Comment