Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure I'm hypoglycemic, What is something I could carry around in my purse in case of an emergency?

I want to know a certain food that I can keep with me at all times %26amp;%26amp; the will help with the jitters, lack of focus, and the feeling of crap when I'm lacking the sugar. Sometimes after I eat when I'm going into shock I feel worse after eating! Help!I'm pretty sure I'm hypoglycemic, What is something I could carry around in my purse in case of an emergency?
They are symptoms of hypoglycemic but they may also be symptoms of dehydration. See a doctor, they are the only person that can tell you for sure.





Glucose pills are available at any pharmacy but even with them you should eat within a half hour because they raise your sugar level quickly but it will drop again. They are a quick source of glucose but are not a substitution for food.





The best thing I have found is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It provides starch, protein, and sugar. Also 6 jelly beans, more or least depending on the person, or about 4 ounces of regular soda.I'm pretty sure I'm hypoglycemic, What is something I could carry around in my purse in case of an emergency?
Well, I would definitely talk to your doctor about this. In the mean time they do have glucose tablets at pharmacies for low blood sugar to make it rise quickly.





Mild hypoglycemia





Symptoms of mild low blood sugar usually develop when blood sugar falls below 70 mg/dL and may include:





* Nausea.


* Extreme hunger.


* Feeling nervous or jittery.


* Cold, clammy, wet skin and/or excessive sweating not caused by exercise.


* A rapid heartbeat (tachycardia).


* Numbness or tingling of the fingertips or lips.


* Trembling.





Moderate hypoglycemia





If blood sugar continues to fall, the nervous system will be affected. Symptoms usually develop when the blood sugar falls below 55 mg/dL and may include:





* Mood changes, such as irritability, anxiety, restlessness, or anger.


* Confusion, difficulty in thinking, or inability to concentrate.


* Blurred vision, dizziness, or headache.


* Weakness, lack of energy.


* Poor coordination.


* Difficulty walking or talking, such as staggering or slurred speech.


* Fatigue, lethargy, or drowsiness.





Severe hypoglycemia





The symptoms of severe low blood sugar develop when blood sugar falls below 35-40 mg/dL and may include:





* Seizures or convulsions.


* Loss of consciousness, coma.


* Low body temperature (hypothermia).
First off, if you are a hypoglycemic, then you need to see a doctor. Poorly controlled blood sugar is a very dangerous thing when left untreated. Furthermore, you could certainly endanger yourself and others if you were to have a hypoglycemic incident while, say, driving, that would be dangerous.





As for foods that might help, drugstores often sell quick release glucose tablets for this purpose, but Orange Juice and hard candies are the old standbys.
Issues with your blood sugar can be very dangerous. Do not rely on quick fixes you need to find out what the problem is and the only way you can do that is by seeing a doctor - before it becomes an emergency. That being said there are various options available to you from a pharmacy. I can guarantee you that, at least for now you are not ';going into shock'; because you wouldn't be telling us about it if you were. You need to get your sugars stabilized and you can only do that with a doctor. They will recommend something that you can carry with you to ';tie you over'; if necessary but eating properly and regularly is the best thing you can do, hypoglycemic or not.





Okay, well based on what you are saying it certainly sounds likely but there could be other things going on as well - only a doctor can find out for sure but I see there was another poster while I was composing mine and their suggestions are sound. Personally I would never recommend hard candy because of the risk to choking but those bite size chocolate bars are a good alternative to that, even sugar packets, something that will dissolve quickly, you can always add the sugar to regular bottled water. Really though you need to be checked by a doctor - hypoglycemia if not managed can be fatal in many different ways.
  • man makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment